I LOVE THIS QUOTE! It’s from Oakland A’s starting pitcher Jeff Samardzija regarding his status in the All-Star Game:
“Random happening. I don’t think anyone knew I was going to be an All-Star before the trade. It just happened to be that way. I won’t get to pitch, that’s a bummer, but it’s all right. I’ll just go through the ceremony and then jump over to the AL dugout with an NL jersey on and have fun with the six other guys we have over there.”
Ok, so here is the deal on Samardzija’s status: he received a spot on the National League All-Star team for his work with the Chicago Cubs but was, as we all know, traded to the Oakland Athletics. With the best record in baseball the Athletics have a very, vested interest in the American League team winning which makes total sense! So that seems fair and it is. Not really to Samardzija but I get it, right? But if someone were to get injured or decided they needed to take the extra rest then Samardzija could possibly be named to the AL All-Star team. Otherwise he can just participate in the festivities and hopefully be allowed to do what he says in his quote … go over and hang out with his new buddies from the A’s! All six of them: Scott Kazmir, Brandon Moss, Derek Norris, Sean Doolittle, Josh Donaldson and Yoenis Cespedes.
I found five reasons dissecting this quote, just one of many on his coming to Oakland and/or his All-Star Game status, that show why Jeff Samardzija is a greAt match for the A’s (outside of his greAt stats!):
- He’s got the A’s rebellious spirit being that he’ll just “jump over to the AL dugout with an NL jersey on.”
- He’s been here since Saturday and already seems to be one of the guys – jumping into the AL dugout to “have fun” with his new teammates.”
- He’s easy going, “I won’t get to pitch, that’s a bummer, but it’s alright.”
- He’s an under the radar type of guy. He’s humble but knows he is good (plus he probably wouldn’t have been AS prolific if the Cubs hadn’t taken so long to give him the run support to finally get a win! – see? under the radar), “I don’t think anyone knew I was going to be an All-Star before the trade, it just happened to be that way.” (yes, I know neither he nor the A’s are under the radar anymore but usually that IS the A’s way – but when you are this good? It’s impossible).
- The quote is lighthearted and chill, but you can still hear his competitive spirit coming through! Basically saying “we are better than you” without actually saying it. “have fun with the six other guys we have over there.” Was saying six necessary? No. Was it the perfect little add-on? Yes!
And I have to mention the hair. I thought this but …. oh I can’t remember who said it on Twitter but I agree! He’s got that hair and the stache – he kind of reminds me of the ECK! (my fave player of all-time) and if that doesn’t mean you belong on the Athletics well I don’t know what does?! LOL!!!! Welcome to our town Jeff! Happy to have you! xx ~ Oakland A’s Socks Girl