I will keep updating this post at the end of each month … when I am done I will put a poll to see which gift is the strangest and which gift was the tour’s best – should be fun! Yay! lol!!
Last season I missed out on a bunch of the crazy gifts Mariano Rivera got on his farewell tour (yes, I am definitely talking to you Tampa Bay – a sandcastle??). After seeing the A’s send off the Captain for the final time this past weekend, I decided to keep a running list … here’s is what the legendary Captain of the New York Yankees has gotten from teams along way ….
- Houston Astros – Stetson cowboy hat, pinstripe cowboy boots, golf clubs and instruction
- Los Angeles Angels – a personalized paddleboard
- Milwaukee Brewers – a $10,ooo check to the Turn 2 Foundation presented by the scout who signed him along with a bronze bat
- New York Mets – a farewell cake made by winners of the reality show Cake Boss and artwork created from subway tiles to commemorate the Subway Series between the two teams
- Chicago Cubs – declared the night “Derek Jeter Night” complete with a banner in the outfield saying “Farewell Captain” and the number “2″ from the Wrigley Field scoreboard
- Chicago White Sox – Infield clay from U.S. Cellular Field, a bench made of balls and bats from both the Yankees and White Sox, plaque with his name and all the other HOF shortstops who have played at U.S. Cellular Field, $5,000 check to the Turn 2 Foundation
- St. Louis Cardinals – another $10,000 check for the Turn 2 Foundation and custom Stan Musial cufflinks
- Kansas City Royals – a video tribute and another $10,000 check for the Turn 2 Foundation**
- Seattle Mariners – Robinson Cano presented Jeter with $34K Jay-Z (who is Jeter’s current agent) Hubolt watch, a seat from the Kingdome
- Oakland Athletics – 3 bottles of customized 2009 Abreu Madrona Ranch cabernet. He also gets a stay at Meadwoods Resort and dinner at Mustards Grill, $10,002 to Turn 2 Foundation.
** Two fans in Kansas City gave Jeter what will probably be the strangest or most interesting, depending on how you look at it, gift of all! Check out the picture below (NOTE: this will not be an option on the end of the season poll as I think that it already wins as the strangest!):